Bangkok’s election: impossible pledges mask political instability – FT, March 14, 2013
…Somehow, Bangkok bounces back from political and environmental turmoil, repeatedly winning accolades including the “world’s best city”. The number of tourists to Thailand hit a record high last year, investors can’t seem to get enough of Thai equities and GDP growth exceeded all expectations in 2012.
The question is, if the Democrats keep Bangkok, can the governor make good on any of his promises, or at the very least help maintain a power balance with the ruling party stable enough to keep political infighting from spilling out onto the streets?
- Election posters: Looking at you
- The last time a coup leader became PM after a return to democracy
- We really care about Thaksin
- Several parties, same owner
- Dictatorship or Democracy
- Election posters: End the economic crisis
- Election posters: Transparent democracy
- Election poster pollution
- Election posters: Pheu Thai’s heart is people
- Why do Thai people always smile?
- Election posters: Take action, be clear