Bangkok’s election: impossible pledges mask political instability – FT, March 14, 2013
…Somehow, Bangkok bounces back from political and environmental turmoil, repeatedly winning accolades including the “world’s best city”. The number of tourists to Thailand hit a record high last year, investors can’t seem to get enough of Thai equities and GDP growth exceeded all expectations in 2012.
The question is, if the Democrats keep Bangkok, can the governor make good on any of his promises, or at the very least help maintain a power balance with the ruling party stable enough to keep political infighting from spilling out onto the streets?
- 11 years ago: Thai police to be reformed, Traffic police could face charges of extortion
- Eight Years Ago: Gen. Chavalit to lead “People’s Army”
- Foreign luxury brands plot against the junta!
- Yet still more cartoons on Prawit’s expensive watch
- Not Richard Mille
- New Year’s Cartoon: Something for the Poor
- New Year’s Cartoon: News of the Past Year
- They are going to get Prawit
- Let’s support Prayuth!
- The military party deserves a head start
- Red buffaloes got smarter