Bangkok’s election: impossible pledges mask political instability – FT, March 14, 2013
…Somehow, Bangkok bounces back from political and environmental turmoil, repeatedly winning accolades including the “world’s best city”. The number of tourists to Thailand hit a record high last year, investors can’t seem to get enough of Thai equities and GDP growth exceeded all expectations in 2012.
The question is, if the Democrats keep Bangkok, can the governor make good on any of his promises, or at the very least help maintain a power balance with the ruling party stable enough to keep political infighting from spilling out onto the streets?
- Remembering Black May 1992
- All About Royal Ploughing Day
- Four Years Ago: Another Coup in Thailand
- I burned the city? When?
- Student Hero
- A young girl does a better job than the PM
- Who will come crawling?
- Talking to the snake
- Anti-rabies GT 200
- The rich man is not full yet
- Thai-style Animal Protection Unit