From Thairath, January 26, 2013
Left, vendor: Campaigning for the Bangkok Governor election shouldn’t be selective. They [the candidates] helped vendors grill bananas, dice chicken, and roast peanuts…
Middle, vendor: …but look down upon vendors like us, and refuse to have pictures taken with us.
Man: What do you sell?
Right, vendor: We sell buay [plum], ragum [zalacca], and haew [water chestnut].
[In Thai, ‘buay’ can also mean ‘coming last,’ ‘ragum’ means ‘being in hardship,’ and ‘haew’ is ‘losing the race.’ The cartoon is commenting on how candidates create photo ops with vendors to show how down-to -earth they can be. In the traditional of Thai humor that relies on puns, So the cartoon is mocking that the candidates don’t want to become jinxed by the meanings of these products.]
- 11 years ago: Thai police to be reformed, Traffic police could face charges of extortion
- Eight Years Ago: Gen. Chavalit to lead “People’s Army”
- Foreign luxury brands plot against the junta!
- Yet still more cartoons on Prawit’s expensive watch
- New Year’s Cartoon: Something for the Poor
- New Year’s Cartoon: News of the Past Year
- Not Richard Mille
- They are going to get Prawit
- Let’s support Prayuth!
- The military party deserves a head start
- Red buffaloes got smarter