Bagan: Myanmar’s Rapid-Fire Development Risks Ancient Site – nbcnews.com, July 11, 2015
…Several hotels have been built illegally inside the archaeological zone — their owners said to be connected with the military. An ugly viewing tower has been erected in the middle of the area. And hot air balloons carrying tourists hover above the temples.
The authorities say they will demolish the hotels, and are looking at stopping the balloons, but few people locally expect that to happen. Officials see a World Heritage listing as a way of leveraging the tourist potential of the site…
- Anniversary of the End of the Absolute Monarchy in Thailand
- 11 Years Ago: First Red Shirt Move: Surprise Raid on Privy Council President’s House
- 2012: Thaksin Reverses Earlier Calls for Reds to Forgive & Forget with Fiery Speech
- Whoever sleeps with you, they will die
- Old allies, new allies
- Can Chavalit be PM again?
- Baby Party
- Democrats shut out
- Absorbing is the Thai Way
- You cannot fight with those who made the rules
- Bangkok’s Central Park becoming a reality?