Bagan: Myanmar’s Rapid-Fire Development Risks Ancient Site – nbcnews.com, July 11, 2015
…Several hotels have been built illegally inside the archaeological zone — their owners said to be connected with the military. An ugly viewing tower has been erected in the middle of the area. And hot air balloons carrying tourists hover above the temples.
The authorities say they will demolish the hotels, and are looking at stopping the balloons, but few people locally expect that to happen. Officials see a World Heritage listing as a way of leveraging the tourist potential of the site…
- Remembering Black May 1992
- All About Royal Ploughing Day
- Four Years Ago: Another Coup in Thailand
- Student Hero
- A young girl does a better job than the PM
- Who will come crawling?
- Anti-rabies GT 200
- Talking to the snake
- The rich man is not full yet
- Thai-style Animal Protection Unit
- Red Shirt and Black Panther