Asia’s Lands of Charm and Cruelty – NYT, October 14, 2013
…In Thailand in 2010, a renegade general was assassinated while I was interviewing him.
… When in 2010 the sniper shot the renegade Thai general, Khattiya Sawatdiphol, and he collapsed at my feet, my first instinct was to put on my ballistic helmet, which I was holding in my hand. (A friend in the U.S. military later darkly joked that I should have read the instruction manual: Helmets work best when worn on your head.)
My second instinct was to write up the story, an important development in the political crisis that was gripping Thailand at the time.
I sent my dispatch and minutes later my wife saw the news of the shooting on nytimes.com.
‘‘Next time,’’ she said, ‘‘you should probably tell your wife first.’’
- Prem Tinsulanonda in Context
- Who came crawling after all?
- I’m with Pom!
- Weekly News Magazines: Coronation, May, 2019
- The best man for the job is…
- Weekly News Magazines: Thanathorn switched off, May, 2019
- To disclose is the Key, To Conceal is the Exemption
- Filling the senate
- What is needed to ruin the Future Forward Party?
- Heaven vs Hell
- Democracy Just Doesn’t Work