[This would not be the first time Chalerm has blustered about terrorism or other special information he claims to know. As the U.S. did not issue any warning to travelers and considering Chalerm’s past statements on bombings that turned out to be political ploys (see links below), it likely that once again these pronouncements have more to do with political bickering than anything real.]
Al-Qaeda terrorist ‘has left Thailand’ – Bangkok Post, February 13, 2013
…The information followed a remark made earlier by Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung that some of the al-Qaeda and Salafist terrorists had already left Thailand after the plan to attack the consulate was exposed…
Terror threat spurs security alert – Bangkok Post, February 12, 2013
…Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung says he has received information that al-Qaeda and Salafist terrorists had planned to launch a three-pronged attack on the US consulate in an operation codenamed “Billiard Ball” in the first half of February.
The terrorists, based in Algeria, would be equipped with small arms, grenade launchers and C-4 explosives provided by drug traders who are unhappy with the Chiang Mai consulate’s role in drug suppression in the region, he said.
There never has been any such alliance reported in the past…
From 2011: Chalerm and Prasong Soonsiri
From 2011: Chalerm Points Out the Bombs
From 2011: More on Chalerm and Prasong
From 2011: Chalerm denies warning about bomb attacks
From 2001: Chalerm and “the brawling brats of the Thai Elite”
Who is Chalerm Yoobamrung?