Half a world apart - Morning Sentinel, April 1, 2006
...He started teaching English at a junior college in Bangkok,
but found the job dull. He looked for opportunities to put his
computer graphics and art skills to use. And he found them --
in the Bangkok underground.
Ireland built a business forging documents -- passports, driver
He defended his choice by saying it not only made him a decent
living, but also allowed him to help others.
"I was allowing people -- citizens of Earth -- to go where
they wanted, allowing a person to reunite with their family,
a poor person to find work abroad, a mother to visit her children,
a family to escape religious persecution, a wronged man a chance
to start over," Ireland said.
Bangkok, he said, was the perfect place for his kind of business.
"One can do business with the Russians at 9 a.m., the Tamil
Tigers at noon and the Chinese around 5 p.m.," Ireland
...The guards were rough; each was assigned to work there as
punishment for breaking rules at other Thai prisons, Ireland
...Klong Prem held about 10,000 prisoners in 10 buildings. Every
building had a large yard where prisoners spent the daylight
The prison also had a soccer field, a weight room, TVs in every
room, new magazines and newspapers, and three prison bands.
And, the guards at Klong Prem never carried weapons.
"They were mellow and slept a lot," Ireland said.
But the prison rock band was a bright spot for Ireland...
- Thai government responds to Washington Post article about Thai abuse of Burmese in the shrimp industry
- Yingluck Billboard
- Vietnam, Thailand & Cambodia urged to stop using vague concepts such as "national security", "sovereignty" or "lèse-majesté" to intimidate & harass dissent
- Gem Scam: 463/9-12, Look-Luang Rd
- 1976: A Nightmare of Lynching and Burning 1976 ฝันร้ายของการลงประชาทัณฑ์ และ เผาทั้งเป็น
- No ridicule or satire please: Governor candidates warned to use social media carefully
- Malay Can Become ASEAN'S Lingua Franca ภาษามาเลสามารถกลายเป็นภาษากลางของอาเซียนได้
- Thailand's boom is sustainable, unlike the one in 1997
- Thai Premier Republic Day chief guest นายกรัฐมนตรีไทยเป็นผู้นำแขกรับเชิญในวันแห่งสาธารณรัฐ
- Couples' Parliament
- Welcome to the "Democratic Republic of Lanna People"