Half a world apart - Morning Sentinel, April 1, 2006
...He started teaching English at a junior college in Bangkok,
but found the job dull. He looked for opportunities to put his
computer graphics and art skills to use. And he found them --
in the Bangkok underground.
Ireland built a business forging documents -- passports, driver
He defended his choice by saying it not only made him a decent
living, but also allowed him to help others.
"I was allowing people -- citizens of Earth -- to go where
they wanted, allowing a person to reunite with their family,
a poor person to find work abroad, a mother to visit her children,
a family to escape religious persecution, a wronged man a chance
to start over," Ireland said.
Bangkok, he said, was the perfect place for his kind of business.
"One can do business with the Russians at 9 a.m., the Tamil
Tigers at noon and the Chinese around 5 p.m.," Ireland
...The guards were rough; each was assigned to work there as
punishment for breaking rules at other Thai prisons, Ireland
...Klong Prem held about 10,000 prisoners in 10 buildings. Every
building had a large yard where prisoners spent the daylight
The prison also had a soccer field, a weight room, TVs in every
room, new magazines and newspapers, and three prison bands.
And, the guards at Klong Prem never carried weapons.
"They were mellow and slept a lot," Ireland said.
But the prison rock band was a bright spot for Ireland...
- Nine Years Ago: Thaksin Allies Try to Take Over Matichon & the Bangkok Post
- 1976: A Nightmare of Lynching and Burning
1976 ฝันร้ายของการลงประชาทัณฑ์ และ เผาทั้งเป็น
- 10 Years Ago: The Tak Bai Incident
- Vintage images of King Chulalongkorn
- Is Gen. Prayuth really growing “eccentric” or “superstitious” as Time Magazine claims?
- Eight Years Ago Today: The Night of the Coup
วันนี้เมื่อ 8 ปีที่แล้ว : คืนวันรัฐประหาร
- Eight Years Ago: Editorial cartoons from before the 2006 coup
- October 14, 1973
- Stocks of “Well-known Families” Rising
- Eight Years Ago Today: Thaksin Attempts to Declare a State of Emergency
วันนี้เมื่อ 8 ปีที่แล้ว : ทักษิณประกาศภาวะฉุกเฉิน
- Seven Years Ago: No kidding: they actually ‘own’ political parties here