The origins of our national anthem - The Nation, May 31, 2005
[An opinionated, but informative article about Thailand's national
...The national anthem was created following the June 1932 coup
that introduced the current system of constitutional monarchy. There
was no national anthem during the Sukhothai and Ayutthaya periods,
nor even in the early days of the Rattanakosin dynasty.
...In 1939, when the countrys name was changed from Siam to
Thailand, Field Marshal Plaek Phibunsongkhrams government held
a competition for new lyrics. Luang Saranuprapan won a Bt1,000 prize
for writing the words still used today...
- The little people are corrupt
- Michael Ball recalls Man City ‘madness’: Thaksin Shinawatra gave us a team talk
- Domino fell the wrong way
- Helping the rice farmers
- Trump in Thai editorial cartoons
- Do you know how to live?
- Thailand caught in the middle
- Help out or win out?
- Words won’t stop the attack
- While keeping a votive tablet in the mouth
- Profiting from being military