Something about Boney M - February 10, 2005
While much of the world has heard of Boney M, they are unknown
in the States and Americans are perplexed when they first
hear their odd songs that are often played in Thailand. Nils
writes: Wasn't Boney M mentioned at the last 2Bangkok meeting?
Well, yesterday I heard "Hooray! Hooray! It's a holi-holiday"
being played in Ploenchit Center...... couldn't believe my
ears. Have a look here.
They were of course utter crap, but once very big in Germany
(and elsewhere) during the disco fever of the late 70s. I
was too young then to catch them in their heyday, but nevertheless
I still remember some of the songs from my childhood in the
* Rasputin - from this album
* Ma Baker
* Rivers of Babylon
* Brown Girl in the Ring
* and of course... Daddy Cool!
Some of it is so bad that in a way, it's good again, and today
they are regarded as cult by some.
The group was originally a creation of infamous German pop
producer Frank Farian, also fondly remembered for the Milli
Vanilli scandal a decade later... The interesting thing
was that 'Bobby', the male lead singer, couldn't sing and
his voice was actually that of Mr. Farian, I think. His job
was only to dance and make antics on stage. Boney
M on Wikipedia
- The little people are corrupt
- Michael Ball recalls Man City ‘madness’: Thaksin Shinawatra gave us a team talk
- Helping the rice farmers
- Trump in Thai editorial cartoons
- Do you know how to live?
- Thailand caught in the middle
- Help out or win out?
- While keeping a votive tablet in the mouth
- Words won’t stop the attack
- Profiting from being military
- We will straighten this out