The Burma-Thailand gas debacle - The Irrawaddy, November 2004
Thailands state-controlled gas firm signed up for two expensive
gas deals that it later realized it didnt want. Burma has used
the revenue to finance an arms build-up...
The Yadana consortium hired the Burma Army to clear a path for the
overland portion of its gas pipeline to Thailand through Tenasserim
Division and provide security for the crews. The Burma Army operated
as per normalburning down villages, press-ganging labor, torturing
and occasionally killing local inhabitants. The Yadana consortium
became so alarmed at the armys conduct that it purchased bulldozers
in the hope that the men-in-drab would stop using slave labor. Pretty
soon, the pipeline fiasco hit the press...
- Weekly News Magazines, January 13-27, 2017
- Weekly News Magazines, January 27-February 10, 2017
- Trampling on those who died for the cause
- Riches from hardship
- Thaksin wasn’t involved
- Prayuth and Thaksin feel the same way about the media!
- Weekly News Magazines, February 3-17, 2017
- Collapse of State Enterprises
- Making Yellow and Red love each other
- This train doesn’t end with reconciliation
- The prime minister wants coal-fired power plants!