The Burma-Thailand gas debacle - The Irrawaddy, November 2004
Thailands state-controlled gas firm signed up for two expensive
gas deals that it later realized it didnt want. Burma has used
the revenue to finance an arms build-up...
The Yadana consortium hired the Burma Army to clear a path for the
overland portion of its gas pipeline to Thailand through Tenasserim
Division and provide security for the crews. The Burma Army operated
as per normalburning down villages, press-ganging labor, torturing
and occasionally killing local inhabitants. The Yadana consortium
became so alarmed at the armys conduct that it purchased bulldozers
in the hope that the men-in-drab would stop using slave labor. Pretty
soon, the pipeline fiasco hit the press...
- Thailand’s censorship
- The temple as hostage
- Pride and money comes at the same time
- Chuwit is BACK!
- Everyone wants to use Section 44!
- University hostages
- Fees for the police
- Hack my house
- Donald Trump: America’s Berlusconi (or Thaksin, or Hariri, or…)
- What’s really behind Thailand’s hostility to Chinese tourists?
- Arrested for providing a place for a criminal to hide