The Burma-Thailand gas debacle - The Irrawaddy, November 2004
Thailands state-controlled gas firm signed up for two expensive
gas deals that it later realized it didnt want. Burma has used
the revenue to finance an arms build-up...
The Yadana consortium hired the Burma Army to clear a path for the
overland portion of its gas pipeline to Thailand through Tenasserim
Division and provide security for the crews. The Burma Army operated
as per normalburning down villages, press-ganging labor, torturing
and occasionally killing local inhabitants. The Yadana consortium
became so alarmed at the armys conduct that it purchased bulldozers
in the hope that the men-in-drab would stop using slave labor. Pretty
soon, the pipeline fiasco hit the press...
- Disappearing article on lese majeste
- Directions to Bangkok’s 24-hour casinos
- Gen. Prayuth could dismiss PM Prayuth?
- Gem Scam: 463/9-12, Look-Luang Rd
- Thaksin’s public beatings
- Thai girls
- Bangkok Master Plans 1979-2006
- Thaksin’s Temple: Dhammakaya
- Thaksin – The Business of Politics in Thailand
- Gem shop locations involved in the scam
- Thailand Tax Refund Claims – 10 Truths to Share with Foreigners