All the details on this year's Car Free Day - September 16, 2003
Thanks to Khun Orapan for passing this info to us: According
to the World Car Free Day on September 22, 2003 the Pollution
Control Department in conjunction with government and private
agencies will organise an activity to enhance energy saving
and reduce air pollution. The main purpose of a Car Free Day
is to persuade people to use more public transport e.g. bus,
SkyTrain, train or car pool instead of driving.
The Bangkok Mass Transit System Public Company Limited (BTSC),
The State Railway of Thailand and Bangkok Mass Transit Authority
are participating in this significant day by offering special
The SkyTrain will give an exclusive discount on all trips at
fixed fares of 10 baht through Silom and Sukhumvit Lines on
September 21-22, 2003, and they will adjust the time table of
trains in peak hours both in the morning and evening. For more
information please call BTS Hotline at Tel. 2617 7141-2.
The State Railway of Thailand will add more commuter trains,which
carry passengers to the city centre between 06.00-09.00 a.m.
and 16.00-19.00 hrs., on Northern and Eastern routes on September
21-22, 2003. For more information please call Tel. 1690.
Bangkok Mass Transit Authority will increase bus frequency between
06.00-09.00 a.m. and 16.00 19.00 hrs. On September 21-22,
2003. In addition there will be a 10, 15 and 20% discount on
daily, weekly and monthly tickets respectively. Please call
Tel. 184 for more information.
To highlight this major event there will be a two-day celebration
and exhibition held on September 20-21, 2003 at Maboonkrong
Centre , ground floor featuring City Night Bike Tours by Bangkok
Bicycles Friendship Association. Also scheduled are a variety
of entertainment such as a concert from Kasetsart University,
a fashion show, games etc.
Natural Resources and Environment Minister Prapat Panyachartrak
will preside over the opening Car Free Day Activity at Maboonkrong
on Saturday September 20, 2003 at 5.00 p.m. A press conference
to report the results of energy savings, mass transit usage,
Bangkok traffic and air pollution will be held on the following
day (September 23rd ) at the Pollution Control Department.
- Thai government responds to Washington Post article about Thai abuse of Burmese in the shrimp industry
- Milling Ghosts Entering Parliament
- Vietnam, Thailand & Cambodia urged to stop using vague concepts such as "national security", "sovereignty" or "lèse-majesté" to intimidate & harass dissent
- Yingluck Billboard
- Gem Scam: 463/9-12, Look-Luang Rd
- Directions to Bangkok's 24-hour casinos
- UK scientist who accused Thai govt official of plagiarism has reported receiving death & kidnap threats
- Thai Govt should cease pressuring the Central Bank – Rate cuts "futile and misguided"
- The Wheel Begins to Turn: Weekly Rallies and Disapproving Academics
- China dashes Thai hopes of cutting huge rice stockpile
- 1976: A Nightmare of Lynching and Burning 1976 ฝันร้ายของการลงประชาทัณฑ์ และ เผาทั้งเป็น