Growing Old Before Becoming Rich - Manila Bulletin, October 28, 2010
...Thailand's GDP grew much faster than that of the Philippines because of the very enlightened policies of its leaders - inspired by a king with a magnificent obsession for agriculture - of endowing its countryside with excellent infrastructures, e.g. farm-to-market roads, irrigation systems, post-harvest facilities, etc. As early as the 1980s, there was no small farm in the most remote areas of Thailand that was not within one kilometer from a good road. During that same period, we were still obsessed with inward-looking, import-substitution, ultranationalistic industrialization which dragged our economy down to become the "sick man of Asia in the mid-1980s. Thailand made its farmers rich by providing them with efficient infrastructures. Our farmers got poorer and poorer (70 percent of the poor in the Philippines are in the rural areas)...
- The little people are corrupt
- Michael Ball recalls Man City ‘madness’: Thaksin Shinawatra gave us a team talk
- Helping the rice farmers
- Trump in Thai editorial cartoons
- Do you know how to live?
- Thailand caught in the middle
- Help out or win out?
- While keeping a votive tablet in the mouth
- Words won’t stop the attack
- Profiting from being military
- We will straighten this out