Blue Diamond blues - The Economist, September 22, 2010
[Thanks to Mud for pointing this out.]
...The Thai servant was arrested in Thailand and convicted of theft, but only after he had sold many of the stones, including a priceless 50-carat blue diamond. Thai police later recovered part of the haul and returned them to their owner. Saudi Arabia then complained that some of the jewels were fake baubles. Thai media reported that the wives of top government officials had been spotted wearing some exquisite diamond necklaces...
- Vintage images of King Chulalongkorn
- The King’s Birthday
- 14 Years Ago: Thaksin reveals his political successor
- Remember the bullet-proof child gods who led a brief Karen insurgency into Thailand in the 1990s?
- 6 Years Ago: After just a few months in office, govt pushing hard for Thaksin pardon
- From 1989: An article in the NYT about Rama IX
- 6 Years Ago: Pheu Thai govt moves fast–Proposed law gives police power to shut news media
- All About the Royal Cremation Ceremony for the late King
- The junta eats the budget
- He will live in our hearts eternally
- Sudarat is finished