Asia faces rising cost from disasters, report says - Reuters, September 21, 2010
[Thanks to Mud for pointing this out.]
... "Among 12 economies covered in the report, Thailand and the Philippines are criticized for their governments' inability to deal effectively with natural disasters and man-made emergencies such as the Manila hostage crisis and Bangkok political riots.
"Thailand's poor capabilities for managing life-threatening emergencies should be a concern for anyone investing or conducting business in the country," the report said, referring to a two-month cover up of the outbreaks of bird flu in 2003..."
- Vintage images of King Chulalongkorn
- The King’s Birthday
- 14 Years Ago: Thaksin reveals his political successor
- Remember the bullet-proof child gods who led a brief Karen insurgency into Thailand in the 1990s?
- 6 Years Ago: After just a few months in office, govt pushing hard for Thaksin pardon
- From 1989: An article in the NYT about Rama IX
- 6 Years Ago: Pheu Thai govt moves fast–Proposed law gives police power to shut news media
- All About the Royal Cremation Ceremony for the late King
- The junta eats the budget
- He will live in our hearts eternally
- Sudarat is finished