An Established Designer With the Eye of an Upstart - WSJ, September 16, 2010
..."He is like an icon" in Thailand, said Mr. Khempon of designer Thakoon Panichgul. The diplomat appeared in the sea of fashionistas because, he said, Mr. Panichgul could be a diplomatic and economic boost to the country where he was born.
That might sound like a tall order for a 35-year-old designer who is most widely known for the red-and-black dress worn by Michelle Obama on the night of her husband's election. But Mr. Panichgul is proving to be a rare sort of designer--one with enough business savvy to have hired a sales staff even before pattern-makers and seamstresses when he started his label six years ago...
- Vintage images of King Chulalongkorn
- The King’s Birthday
- 14 Years Ago: Thaksin reveals his political successor
- Remember the bullet-proof child gods who led a brief Karen insurgency into Thailand in the 1990s?
- 6 Years Ago: After just a few months in office, govt pushing hard for Thaksin pardon
- From 1989: An article in the NYT about Rama IX
- 6 Years Ago: Pheu Thai govt moves fast–Proposed law gives police power to shut news media
- All About the Royal Cremation Ceremony for the late King
- The junta eats the budget
- He will live in our hearts eternally
- Sudarat is finished