Sondhi charged with lese majesty - Bangkok Post, July 5, 2010
[This goes all the way back to the 2008 People Power Party year when the government was allowing threats against the monarchy during Red Shirt rallies. This was to pressure the establishment which was opposing the People Power Party's policy of refusing to enact legislation until the constitution was amended (presumably to enable a pardon for Thaksin).
The PAD insisted that the police take action against the public threats against the monarchy.
Finally, to force the matter to a head, PAD head Sondhi started quoting the anti-monarchy statements on the PAD stage. This led to military pressure on the police to detain and charge Red Shirts making the threats like Da Torpedo.]
- Vintage images of King Chulalongkorn
- The King’s Birthday
- 14 Years Ago: Thaksin reveals his political successor
- Remember the bullet-proof child gods who led a brief Karen insurgency into Thailand in the 1990s?
- 6 Years Ago: After just a few months in office, govt pushing hard for Thaksin pardon
- From 1989: An article in the NYT about Rama IX
- 6 Years Ago: Pheu Thai govt moves fast–Proposed law gives police power to shut news media
- All About the Royal Cremation Ceremony for the late King
- The junta eats the budget
- He will live in our hearts eternally
- Sudarat is finished