Wear black campaign under way - Bangkok Post, July 24, 2009
[The writer of the Post article is tiptoeing around the belief some have that Thaksin's birthday celebration is being conducted in a manner that parallels celebrations for the King and is thus another provocative challenge to the establishment.]
...Now what does that mean anyway? Those who are not aware of the significance or insignificance of that particular day, which is this Sunday, should not feel sorry about it. There is, in fact, nothing special about it. It is just another Sunday, which just happens to be the birthday of deposed former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who will be turning 60.
So I guess you should by now grasp the meaning of the twitter message which, I suspect, was started by someone to counter the birthday celebrations planned by Thaksin's supporters...
- Vintage images of King Chulalongkorn
- 14 Years Ago: Thaksin reveals his political successor
- 6 Years Ago: After just a few months in office, govt pushing hard for Thaksin pardon
- Remember the bullet-proof child gods who led a brief Karen insurgency into Thailand in the 1990s?
- From 1989: An article in the NYT about Rama IX
- 6 Years Ago: Pheu Thai govt moves fast–Proposed law gives police power to shut news media
- The network of the officials who helped Yingluck escape
- All About the Royal Cremation Ceremony for the late King
- Who is left to burn Thailand?
- Weekly News Magazines: Red Bull and the Shy Tiger, September, 2017
- The junta eats the budget