Don't twist the history of the 1976 October 6 Massacre! - translated and summarized from Matichon, February 21, 2008
There has been no retraction by Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej of his claim in a recent CNN interview that only one person was killed in the October 6 Massacre of 1976. On February 18, the Prime Minister spoke to Parliament in an attempt to clarify his position, but he still continues to insist to the media that he took no part in the massacre.
The Leader of the Democrat Party - Abhisit Vejjajiva - and the Chairman of the Democrat Party’s Advisory Council - Chuan Leekphai - have both expressed their disapproval of Samak’s comments. A debate between the two opposing sides of the issue was also broadcast on TV Channel 11 recently.
Our history should not be revised for political purposes. There is clear evidence from both photographic and moving images that a large number of people were tortured and murdered in the Massacre.
- From 2011: Red Shirt pursuers at the mercy of new government
- Before Thaksin: Remembering the Checks and Balances of the 1997 Charter
- Dangerous Voting
- It’s a charade
- America first… World last
- Some bombers don’t go to jail
- The outrageous denial
- Police stealing the work of the gods
- Who controls the pipe bomber?
- Abhisit for leader!
- More on police buying their promtions