Will Sutham call Samak over Oct 6 truth? - The Nation, February 21, 2008
...But Sutham Saengprathum remembers the incident as a black hole in Thai political history. He wrote in one of his personal journals:
"Just before I went to see the prime minister (MR Seni Pramoj) I was in Thammasat campus. The stage set up for public speeches was shot through with bullet holes. We had to evacuate ourselves to continue our activities under that stage. I was hugging my friends to say goodbye. But the scene I saw right then didn't allow me to make the decision to leave. What I saw was a male student in a pool of blood after being shot at right in the middle of the (football) field. A female student, probably a volunteer nurse, ran up to him to help carry him to the Accountancy faculty building. While she was struggling to walk him out of the firing zone, she was shot and killed right in front of where I was standing. A third friend who rushed up to them in the hope of helping them was also cut down by bullets.
"The three of them laid dead right in the middle of the football field of Thammasat University. It's a picture that has stayed in my memory until today…"
Anybody seriously interested in Thai political history would naturally be curious to know what Sutham today thinks of Prime Minister Samak's statement - repeated in his rebuttal against opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva's comment in Parliament on Monday - that only one person died in the October 6, 1976 crackdown.
Would Sutham give PM Samak a call to clear things up, now that they belong to the same camp?
- 10 Years Ago: Thaksin Allies Try to Take Over Matichon & the Bangkok Post
- 9 Years Ago: Editorial Cartoons on the Death of Thai Rak Thai
9 ปีที่แล้ว : การ์ตูน ความตายแห่งไทยรักไทย
- Remembering the Thaksin Years: Crucify the Police Officer
- Nine Years Ago: The Night of the Coup
วันนี้เมื่อ 9 ปีที่แล้ว : คืนวันรัฐประหาร
- Nine Years Ago: The Coup – Front Pages
- Nine Years Ago: Thaksin Attempts to Declare a State of Emergency
- 8 Years Ago: “Black herbal toothpaste”
- 12 Years Ago: Thaksin grooming himself for south-east Asia leadership
วันนี้เมื่อ 12 ปีที่แล้ว: ชินวัตรเตรียมตัวที่จะเป็นผู้นำแห่งเอเชียตะวันออกเฉียงใต้
- Nine Years Ago: The Coup – Sep. 24-Oct. 9, 2006
- 9 Years Ago: Thaksin’s public beatings
- 11 Years Ago: Thaksin firms crush censure debate accusations with billion baht lawsuit