Will Sutham call Samak over Oct 6 truth? - The Nation, February 21, 2008
...But Sutham Saengprathum remembers the incident as a black hole in Thai political history. He wrote in one of his personal journals:
"Just before I went to see the prime minister (MR Seni Pramoj) I was in Thammasat campus. The stage set up for public speeches was shot through with bullet holes. We had to evacuate ourselves to continue our activities under that stage. I was hugging my friends to say goodbye. But the scene I saw right then didn't allow me to make the decision to leave. What I saw was a male student in a pool of blood after being shot at right in the middle of the (football) field. A female student, probably a volunteer nurse, ran up to him to help carry him to the Accountancy faculty building. While she was struggling to walk him out of the firing zone, she was shot and killed right in front of where I was standing. A third friend who rushed up to them in the hope of helping them was also cut down by bullets.
"The three of them laid dead right in the middle of the football field of Thammasat University. It's a picture that has stayed in my memory until today…"
Anybody seriously interested in Thai political history would naturally be curious to know what Sutham today thinks of Prime Minister Samak's statement - repeated in his rebuttal against opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva's comment in Parliament on Monday - that only one person died in the October 6, 1976 crackdown.
Would Sutham give PM Samak a call to clear things up, now that they belong to the same camp?
- 10 Years Ago: The Tak Bai Incident
- Vintage images of King Chulalongkorn
- Constitution Day
- 25 years ago: Drillship Seacrest capsizes in one of the world’s worst oil rig disasters
- 11 Years Ago Today: PM mixes business and politics
วันนี้เมื่อ 11 ปีที่แล้ว : นายกผสมผสานธุรกิจกับการเมือง
- 17 Years Ago: Thousands of Thais Protest Bangkok’s Inaction in Crisis
วันนี้เมื่อ 14 ปีที่แล้ว : ผู้ประท้วงคนไทยกว่า1000 คนในกรุงเทพฯไม่รู้สึกถึงวิกฤต
- Eight Years Ago: Thaksin’s Life in Cartoon Form
- Dissolution of the Royal Thai Police
- 11 Years Ago Today: Thaksin: Somkid Jatusripitak My Successor
วันนี้เมื่อ 11 ปีที่แล้ว : ทักษิณ คือ คนที่มาแทน สมคิด จาตุศรีพิทักษ์
- 11 Years Ago Today: Amnesty denounces ‘murder spree’ in Thai drug war
วันนี้เมื่อ 11 ปีที่แล้ว : การอภัยโทษประณามการฆาตกรรมอย่างเมามันในสงครามยาเสพติดไทย
- 11 Years Ago: Thaksin Dictionary
วันนี้ 11 ปีที่แล้ว : พจนานุกรมของทักษิณ