Thai goalposts keep moving - SMH, December 8, 2007
To see the more bizarre extension of Thailand's current election campaign you need to browse a few websites like goal.com, aimed at fans of soccer's English Premier League.
There you will read that the deputy head of the Democrat Party, Apirak Kosayodhin, who is also Governor of Bangkok, last month signed a deal with Everton for its players and coaches to train a squad of young players at the Bangkok Football Academy.
This was to counter the kudos gained in soccer-mad Thailand by the exiled political rival of the Democrats, the ousted prime minister and billionaire Thaksin Shinawatra, with his recent purchase of Manchester City, followed by the club's recruitment of three Thai players and its announcement of plans to open football academies in Thailand...
- Election posters: Looking at you
- The last time a coup leader became PM after a return to democracy
- We really care about Thaksin
- Several parties, same owner
- Dictatorship or Democracy
- Election posters: End the economic crisis
- Election posters: Transparent democracy
- Election poster pollution
- Election posters: Pheu Thai’s heart is people
- Why do Thai people always smile?
- Election posters: Take action, be clear