Academic accused of insulting Thai king in exam paper - Reuters, August 13, 2007
[This story is slowly trickling out beyond Thailand...]
... "This is like McCarthyism," the bespectacled professor with shoulder-length hair told Reuters, referring to the 1950s anti-communist witchhunts in the United States.
"I think it's important for students to be able to analyse and criticise. They must have a deep understanding of any important institution in Thai society and this includes the monarchy," he said.
More than 500 academics and activists have signed a petition (www.petitiononline.com/4bs2007/petition.html) denouncing the case as a grave threat to academic freedom...
- From 2011: Red Shirt pursuers at the mercy of new government
- Before Thaksin: Remembering the Checks and Balances of the 1997 Charter
- Dangerous Voting
- It’s a charade
- America first… World last
- Some bombers don’t go to jail
- The outrageous denial
- Police stealing the work of the gods
- Who controls the pipe bomber?
- Abhisit for leader!
- More on police buying their promtions