Academic accused of insulting Thai king in exam paper - Reuters, August 13, 2007
[This story is slowly trickling out beyond Thailand...]
... "This is like McCarthyism," the bespectacled professor with shoulder-length hair told Reuters, referring to the 1950s anti-communist witchhunts in the United States.
"I think it's important for students to be able to analyse and criticise. They must have a deep understanding of any important institution in Thai society and this includes the monarchy," he said.
More than 500 academics and activists have signed a petition (www.petitiononline.com/4bs2007/petition.html) denouncing the case as a grave threat to academic freedom...
- Remembering Black May 1992
- Anniversary of the End of the Absolute Monarchy in Thailand
- Four Years Ago: Another Coup in Thailand
- 2012: Thaksin Reverses Earlier Calls for Reds to Forgive & Forget with Fiery Speech
- Whoever sleeps with you, they will die
- Old allies, new allies
- Can Chavalit be PM again?
- Baby Party
- Remembering the Red Shirt Protests of 2010
- AP: Bangkok Post editor ousted for criticizing Thailand’s military government
- Democrats shut out