Do not adjust your Net - the bizarre way the world sees Thailand - The Nation, May 26, 2007
...Working on the Internet, I am often dumbstruck at some of the questions I get asked by potential travellers to Thailand: "Steve, can I buy shampoo and toothpaste in Thailand or must I bring my own?" Or: "Excuse me Steve, if I eat on the street will I get food poisoning?" "Certainly", I reply, "and don't forget, when travelling north, the only mode of transportation is elephant".
Or how about this one I was told by a newly arrived backpacker, and I am not joking: "I heard that if I wanna score some dope I should go to the back of any police station and ask some dodgy-looking cop"...
Earlier: World press on the John Mark Karr incident
- The little people are corrupt
- Helping the rice farmers
- Do you know how to live?
- Thailand caught in the middle
- Help out or win out?
- Words won’t stop the attack
- While keeping a votive tablet in the mouth
- Profiting from being military
- We will straighten this out
- Suriya chemical is the most dangerous
- The chicken farmer and the monkey