On July 1, 1978, the rail link between Songkhla and Hat Yai was abandoned. Today, the tracks are completely overgrown and the bridges rusted out. Just before the line reaches the outskirts of Hat Yai, it is obliterated by new development and disappears entirely. However, the route is still printed on most maps. Photos below of the tracks are from June 2002 and July 2003.
Also: The Songkhla train station
Right: A sole remaining rusted sign along the tracks--the Thai character wahwan
- 21 Years Ago: Thousands of Thais Protest Bangkok’s Inaction in Crisis
- Weekly News Magazines: the junta’s political party, October, 2018
- Chavalit coughs up bombs (again)
- Mark sinking
- Rutting Dogs/Rutting Politicians
- There was a bribe too
- Not only a dog howls at the bell
- No alliance for the Democrats!
- Weekly News Magazines: Two Political Systems, October, 2018
- Different kinds of animals
- Why can’t they praise me?