Politics in the Age of Thaksin
…Now, with crackdowns on foreign and domestic journalists, Prime Minister Thaksin’s government seems to be retreating into Thailand’s history of authoritarian rule.
Thaksin’s electoral victory in January last year was something new here. For the first time, a Thai political leader asked the mass of the people to vote for him because he promised to do something for them. He understood (where his rivals did not) that major changes had occurred over the previous decade and that the Thai people were no longer afraid to demand change…
- From 2003: PM mixes business and politics
- News from the 1890s
- Snake with two heads
- Weekly News Magazines: Drawing the Lines for Elections, November, 2018
- No need for revolutionaries
- Weekly News Magazines: Govt minister and the pro-junta party, November, 2018
- Silly uncle is moving the mountain
- Who is left to run with Sudarat?
- Your behavior is worse than interference
- From Red Shirts to Green Shirts
- Now he faces the heavyweight