Above: The banner reads: 30 years of October 6 rights, freedom, and democracy acquired by fighting
October 6 banners at Thammasat University - October 7, 2006
These are banners on the Thammasat University athletic field to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the events of October 6. For some this year there is a sense of strange irony that students, as well as the public, are cheering the overthrow of an elected government by the military.
Above: Association present-day problems in the south with the overall struggle for rights. The banner reads: No justice, no peace - Somchai Nilapaijit Kruse, Jaroen Wataksorn - Takbai, kidnap, killing
Above: The banner reads: 30 years after 6 October - People protect democracy, wipe out Thai politicians, overthrow the damned government, create the new society, justice, peace, freedom
Above: One of the iconic images of October 6: Right-wing mobs beating the corpses of lynched protestors.
Above: Revolutionary memorabilia for sale...
Above: Part of one of the timelines of the events at the exhibition.
24 Dec 1973 - A letter from CIA. USA faked a letter claiming that the communist party wanted to negotiate to stop shooting and the letter was sent to many newspapers. This event made the communist party come to resist the CIA and finally the CIA had to apologize.
24 April 1974 - The Council of Ramkamhaeng University restores Dr. Sak Phasuknirun back to his position. Earlier he blamed a student group who wrote an article on Tungyai case and made students force others out of school. Dr. Sak was chased out of his position by students. THat he is back upsets many students and people.
Above: The banner reads: The tanks never die if people are weak.
Above: Melding imagery from the October 6 events with present day fears. The banner reads: Globalization, transfer assets to capital, FTA, populist policies, freedom capitalism world
Above: Thaksin says: I will establish organization and foundation for society. Believe me.
Above: Another famous image from October 6--Forcing the shoe in the mouth of a lynched protester.
- Nine Years Ago: Thaksin Allies Try to Take Over Matichon & the Bangkok Post
- 1976: A Nightmare of Lynching and Burning
1976 ฝันร้ายของการลงประชาทัณฑ์ และ เผาทั้งเป็น
- 10 Years Ago: The Tak Bai Incident
- Vintage images of King Chulalongkorn
- Is Gen. Prayuth really growing “eccentric” or “superstitious” as Time Magazine claims?
- Eight Years Ago Today: The Night of the Coup
วันนี้เมื่อ 8 ปีที่แล้ว : คืนวันรัฐประหาร
- Eight Years Ago: Editorial cartoons from before the 2006 coup
- October 14, 1973
- Stocks of “Well-known Families” Rising
- Eight Years Ago Today: Thaksin Attempts to Declare a State of Emergency
วันนี้เมื่อ 8 ปีที่แล้ว : ทักษิณประกาศภาวะฉุกเฉิน
- Seven Years Ago: No kidding: they actually ‘own’ political parties here