Above: The banner reads: 30 years of October 6 rights, freedom, and democracy acquired by fighting
October 6 banners at Thammasat University - October 7, 2006
These are banners on the Thammasat University athletic field to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the events of October 6. For some this year there is a sense of strange irony that students, as well as the public, are cheering the overthrow of an elected government by the military.
Above: Association present-day problems in the south with the overall struggle for rights. The banner reads: No justice, no peace - Somchai Nilapaijit Kruse, Jaroen Wataksorn - Takbai, kidnap, killing
Above: The banner reads: 30 years after 6 October - People protect democracy, wipe out Thai politicians, overthrow the damned government, create the new society, justice, peace, freedom
Above: One of the iconic images of October 6: Right-wing mobs beating the corpses of lynched protestors.
Above: Revolutionary memorabilia for sale...
Above: Part of one of the timelines of the events at the exhibition.
24 Dec 1973 - A letter from CIA. USA faked a letter claiming that the communist party wanted to negotiate to stop shooting and the letter was sent to many newspapers. This event made the communist party come to resist the CIA and finally the CIA had to apologize.
24 April 1974 - The Council of Ramkamhaeng University restores Dr. Sak Phasuknirun back to his position. Earlier he blamed a student group who wrote an article on Tungyai case and made students force others out of school. Dr. Sak was chased out of his position by students. THat he is back upsets many students and people.
Above: The banner reads: The tanks never die if people are weak.
Above: Melding imagery from the October 6 events with present day fears. The banner reads: Globalization, transfer assets to capital, FTA, populist policies, freedom capitalism world
Above: Thaksin says: I will establish organization and foundation for society. Believe me.
Above: Another famous image from October 6--Forcing the shoe in the mouth of a lynched protester.
- 12 Years Ago: Thaksin’s ‘War on Drugs’
- Valentine’s Day in Thailand – Time to Fret About Teen Sex
- Eight Years Ago: Thai Society Horrified Over Sexy Dress
- Seven Years Ago: Samak Denies the 1976 Massacre
- Five Years Ago: Taksin Returns
5 ปีที่แล้ว : ทักษิณกลับมา
- 11 Years Ago Today: Bangkok Post editor fired under political pressure
- 10 Years Ago: Thaksin victory puts Thai media in jeopardy
- 12 Years Ago Today: The burning of the Thai Embassy in Cambodia
วันนี้เมื่อ 12 ปีก่อน : สถานฑูตไทยถูกเผาที่กัมพูชา
- 11 Years Ago: Construction of the Suvanabhumi Airport
วันนี้เมื่อง 11 ปีก่อน : การก่อสร้างสนามบินสุวรรณภูมิ
- Three Years Ago: The Botched Iranian Bombing in Bangkok
- Nine years ago: Thai police to be reformed, Traffic police could face charges of extortion